From the depths of Mordor,i adnotated :
A Vancouver Craigslist ad for a personal assistant has advocates and at least oneii professoriii shaking their heads about what is being asked for in the listing. The person who posted the ad describes him or herselfiv as part of a professional working couple living in Gastown’s Woodward’s building and asks for things like washing vegetables, keeping household products stocked, and packing lunches. It’s essentially an ad for a personal servant,v said one UBC professor, who added she was not surprised to see it given the country’s growing income inequality.vi “They’re not calling it a personal servant but that is what they’re asking for,” said Sylvia Fuller, who studies employment and inequality. “Its not surprising that you start to see more of this kind of arrangement because there are people who can afford it and there are folks who don’t have any other options.”vii The Craigslist ad was posted for at least eight days before it was flagged and taken down last week.viii Metro has not been able to contact the person who posted the ad. People who are new to the labour market, like recent graduates and immigrants are often the most vulnerable when it comes to precarious employment, said Fuller. The ad language, including its claim that the job is an internship, indicates the couple is looking for a millennial to fill this job, she said.ix The problem is, there is nothing in the job description that indicates it would forward someone’s career, she said.x “You’re not really developing any particular skills in that job.” The ad even states, “[i]f you’re the type of person who likes super “creative” work, where you have a lot of variety in your day … and deal with a lot of different types of complex challenges… then this probably is NOT right for you.” People have historically avoided this kind of workxi – personal servitude – if they have other options and for good reason, she said. “If you’re hidden in somebody’s household, in this kind of job, typically you’re not being paid particularly well but it is also easily subject to abuse and exploitation.” The ad also states the couple is looking for someone who, “doesn’t take things personally, have feelings hurt easily or get offended at all.”xii But the ad has appeared to offend a lot of people online already.xiii Downtown Eastside advocate Wendy Pedersen calls the people behind the ad “rich entitled slobs with no life skills”xiv and Vancouver writer Lindsay Brown describes them as “people who have PAs as well as a housekeeper and demand that you don’t get ruffled if they have a tantrum.”xv Fuller is not surprised the ad has ruffled feathers but is also not surprised the ad was placed in Vancouver. “Vancouver is one of the most unequal cities in Canada when we look at incomes – its not surprising that we would see examples of this here.” Families who had the highest incomes (top 20 per cent) increased their average wealth by 80 per cent between 1999 and 2012 while families at the bottom of the income spectrum (bottom 20 per cent) only increased their average wealth by 38 per cent, according to Statistics Canada. Meanwhile, precarious employment – temporary, freelance, and on-call work – has increased by 60 per cent since 1989. About one in every five workers in the Toronto area work in precarious employment, according to the most recent report by United Way and McMaster University.
pete_dushenski: Holy shit does this sort of libertard flailing grind my fucking gears. Ad is included in article and is eminently reasonable.xvii Nothing a PA or nanny wouldn’t do. I seriously dun get it and it drives me up the fucking wall. The gall of these impotent shits. To think that it’s evil for employers to have specific expectations rather than being ‘universally’ ‘inclusive’.xviii
shinohai: They got a personal army of similar-minded folks to flag post and get it removed, that’ll show ‘em!
pete_dushenski: This is presumably what the employment alternatives look like.xix i) Wash dishes for well-to-do couple, learn,xx maybe make productive connections along the way (you hope) ; ii) Play ‘flag the meanies’ in your mom’s basement ad infinitum. That ‘the press‘ would aim to shelter and coddle morons into the latter camp is despicable, unethical, and destined to fail – for both themselves and their moo-eyed readership.
So what offended you more, the Craigslist ad or me ?
___ ___ ___
- MetroNews’ Wanyee Li to be exact. While the fillie is a replaceable rube who’s using the position as little more than a dating platform, you’ll recall the rag for their earlier racism. [↩]
- This is exactly equivalent to proposing the following : “We only asked one homeless schmoe – the nobody! – if he thought that President Obama was a martian sent from the future to destroy American jobs, and schmoe did! Now just imagine that schmoe is representative of something, anything at all, and we’ll continue this disgracefully specious reasoning from there.” Does that really sound like a cogent argument to anyone who didn’t eat a mayonnaise sandwich and fuck their own sister before work ? [↩]
- Ahem. Associate Professor. There’s a difference. Just as there’s a difference between President and Vice President, and between soldiers and cadets. Please.
Anyways, it must be said that Fuller’s not entirely unattractive. [↩]
- The ad was clearly written by a woman. As if a fucking self-made dude is ending a paragraph in a classified with “…lol!”. [↩]
- You can tell that being a “servant” or even so much as being ~of service~ is beneath the cocked brow of cocky Canadians by the simple fact that the brainwashed government school idjits fancy themselves too good to work minimum wage jobs… at all, leaving actual service positions to be filled by industrious immigrants like my beloved Philippinos. “You can be anything” is a blasted fairytale and a most wicked curse upon these snowy lands. Damn you pretenses to equality!!!!1 [↩]
- The influx of money from mainland China is accelerating this trend nicely. The curve was too flat for too long, leading to this whole “we r nice (like mice)” song and dance, a song and dance that will only change its tune (and its step) when it’s too late. As ever, humans, particularly at the kommunittee level, are ever-reactive and never-proactive. [↩]
- There are in fact no other options. Period. Even for those born with silver spoons in their mouths, they must completely and unabashedly submit to their superiors for training. Whether it’s a private couple looking for a PA of sorts, whether it’s Walmart or whether it’s Wall Street, it matters not. Learning must happen and in urban / civil society that means that a ladder must be climbed. No one’s born knowing everything so hop to it – time to start sucking the cock (a euphemism for absorbing everything that your superiors have to offer, including, ideally and non-euphemistically, sexual practice). [↩]
- Eight days ? What is this, the magical oil that burned 8x longer than expected ? I know, let’s make an advertising holiday to commemorate this momentous occasion!! Oh wait, you already have a bunch of those, don’t you. [↩]
- Fuck Fuller and burn her at the stake using her worthless “doctorate” as kindling. Seriously, where does she get off so blatantly inserting her own dumb narrative where it doesn’t belong ? The ad says nothing of “precariousness” or “millennials” and yet somehow those are magically relevant because she feels things. Clearly, her mood ring was purple on this particular day and she was envious that young people might be wanted for productive purposes, which she’s clearly never been able to attain. [↩]
- Read between the lines, wouldja. Or better yet, open your fucking eyes. Do you have any idea how many EAs and PAs get promotions, have introductions made, and are generally invited into a world their worthless parents could never show them ? More than you know is apparently the answer here. [↩]
- HAHAHHAHAA. Omgerd this is so backwards it could only have come from an up-is-down socialist. [↩]
- This obviously offends the libertard tenant that we’re all very special and soi-disant “good entities” *hurl* but little else besides. This is called “begging the question,” or petitio principii, for those of you interested in formal logic. [↩]
- How many is a lot ? Who knows! Math is racist! [↩]
- Takes one to know one, I guess. [↩]
- Is that supposed to be insulting or… ? [↩]
- No one has time for your “ostrich” defence, birdbrain. [↩]
- You think the world would be a better place with mincome ? Where you’re paid to
express your inate and suppressed creativitybreathe ? Please, tell me about all the TV shows about art projects you’re going to watch on my dime. [↩]
- To the “idealist” (read : socialist) mind. [↩]
- Learn what ? What success looks like up close and personal, for one. How many other people can say they’ve had such an opportunity ? College certainly doesn’t give it to you. [↩]